Saturday, January 12, 2013

No Buy Challenge

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I have been reading this interesting book about simplifying your life.


If you read yesterday's post or have been following me for any time, you may know that I get pretty excited about new scrappy supplies and love to scrapbook shop.  Yes, my world's are colliding.  I want to be this disciplined person who lives a simpler life, (no I'm not moving into a 128 square foot home on wheels) appreciates what I have, doesn't get caught up in wanting the newest thing out on the scrappy market and shops wisely.  It is easy to shop just out of boredom.  It is easy to shop for that initial rush of looking at a pile of new supplies and thinking about all of the creative possibilities.  That rush is short term. My book advises one to wait 30 days before making any purchase.  If I followed this rule I would never shop for scrappy supplies.  All of my scrappy shopping is done on impulse.  Then I look at my scrappy room and know that it has too much in it.  More plastic containers have been purchased to store more paper collections.  When I am looking for something specific, I come across lines of paper that I have forgotten even buying.  That gives me a bad feeling about myself.

It is said that if you want to challenge yourself to accomplish something, tell people about it or better yet blog about it.  It helps one to be accountable.  Will a person quit so quickly if it means losing face in public?

So I am announcing it here.... I am taking the No Buy Challenge.


 I am not buying any new scrappy supplies in 2013!  Okay, my sister Susan is likely rolling on the floor laughing right now saying, "Yeah right Jen."  But to this I say, "You'll see!"  LOL (Yes, I have said that many times before and then fail on an epic level.)  I will only purchase adhesives, foam dots, Cricut mats (if I run out) exacto blades for my cutting needs, black ink if needed and Distress ink in Frayed Burlap if my pad gets too shabby and I run out of my bottle of liquid ink to moisten the pad.  I will allow myself to buy cardstock as needed.  This is not a trouble area for me, as I am not a huge cardstock fan.  I do go through white and kraft and they are essentials to my pages. I will assign Susan and Rob as judges to okay any purchase I make to ensure that I am following my own rules.  Best of all, I will be accountable to all of you... my readers!!

I will do monthly posts to update you all on my adventure.  We are almost half way through January and I haven't made a purchase yet.  No big sacrifice on my part though as I ordered the January Studio Calico kit at the end of December and placed an online order at my favourite store back East.  Both of these packages have arrived.  So at this point, I have what I have.  :)

I am excited to see how my LO's look in 2013!  I will likely be pulling out some vintage stuff and mixing it up!  It will be fun to look at my scrappy room at the end of this year and see how much of a dent I have made.  Best of all, I am hoping to feel that I have disciplined myself in some small way.  I always want to appreciate everything that I own.  As they say, "It is better to love everything that you have, rather than have everything you love."  I know this will be a hard challenge for me but I am feeling up to it!  ( No tiny Maya Road cameras for me ~ waaahhhhh)  LOL

Anyone out there want to join me in this challenge?  It can be a kind of scrap-addict support group?

I always remember what Ali Edwards wrote in an article years ago regarding excessive scrappy buying, "You have plenty of supplies to record all of your memories".  This is very true. :)

Jen

9 comments:

  1. Kay Jen, I am rolling on the floor laughing too. (sorry!! ;) ) I know how much you like to shop your scrappy goodies. :) But, I am with you. I haven't bought anything for awhile, until today. But, I did clear that purchase through Greg. It is for some Christmas paper for my holiday photos. I will join you in your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very interested to see your post, I have been thinking about this, but had not read the book you are posting about, but am going to add it to my 2013 to read list. I had already made my goal for not buying anything new until I have used up at least 3 kits. Then I will treat myself with a small purchase of $25 or less after each 3 kits I use up. I have TONS of different lovely kits and need to make good use of them. I am considering your challenge now that I see it here, but not sure how well I would do...but thanks for the motivation and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You are amazing.. I look forward to following your journey. CHA 2013 is looking too yummy though. Maybe 2014 will be my year..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bwwwahahahahahahah!! I started laughing as soon as I read the title of the post. ;-) Seriously though, I think it's a great idea and having spent a lot of time in your scrapping room, I can attest to the fact that you won't run out of anything any time soon. I'll be happy to be one of your judges. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could have written this post. When I see a new line I love I NEED it...and then a few months down the line it is still unopened. I think I will take this challenge with you. My paper trays are bursting at the seams and I have enough patterned paper to keep me busy for the next two years. I also scrap on light backgrounds...so I will buy cardstock, adhesives, blades and cutting mats for my Silhouette. I have also made a commitment for six months with Studio Calico...but I will stick to the main kit only. Let's see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is going to be a really interesting year! It's something I've been thinking about too - I have plenty of supplies and a couple of years ago I eased off on buying more. But if I'm making something for Scrap365 it has to use current lines, so that has seen me buying again. CHA isn't exciting me as much this time round though - maybe that's a good sign!

    Best of luck with your project. I'll be following with interest

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a very brave lady Jennifer! Especially right before CHA! WWII! I would love to say I'll join you, but I have already put my name on so any of those new releases! Lol! I know exactly what you are saying though. I suffer from the same symptoms! I am going to try my best to think about how much I really need something before I purchase it in 2013. For now, that's all I can promise. I will be following your journey with interest. Good luck! Hope 2013 will be a great year for you and your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are very brave. How are you going to reward yourself upon completion??? Think of all that you will be saving! You definitely need something to look forward to after completing the challenge! So many great options to think about.

    I have considered this No Buy Challenge myself. I am had HUGE October Afternoon fan which I think has an old vintage feel. If I just scraped my supplies I could mix old with current and it would fit right in with that style. I'd need to be able to buy a few more things then you do though, albums, refills, photos, adhesives, and probably card stock. I'm not all in 100% but for me 90% is still going to be HUGE.

    Thanks for the quote by Ali Edwards, it is sooo true. They say old is new these days. I'll have to look at my older scrapbooks and see how I use to use vellum and mulberry paper, I still have plenty.

    I look forward to using my supplies in 2013 and seeing what you can come up with using your supplies too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I purge regularly and it feels good! I will be sure to think of you if I happen on some upon some Maya Road little cameras -then technically it's not buying ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...