Wednesday, February 27, 2013

No Buy Challenge ~ February Update

Here we are at the end of yet another month,  a short month that has just flown by in the blink of an eye.  Life has been busy around here.  Lisa has left the condo that she rented from us to move in with her boyfriend Steve. He bought his own home last month.  We have been hunting to find a really good tenant.


It is great when you can rent to your daughter because you have that "mom guilt" thing that works in your favour.  You know that things will be kept properly.  When your tenant moves out and you check the place over, you just make your tenant a list of the things that need a bit more elbow grease involved to get them up to "Mom's standard".  So now that I am dealing with the real world of tenants and have lost all of my "momish" powers,  I had to put my best investigative powers to work.  Luckily for us, there isn't much out there available to rent so we get to be selective.  I think I found my girl last night.  I knew she was the one when she got excited that the floors were actual hardwood and asked if she should clean them with Swiffer cleaner.  Yes, she knows that they require more than a wet soppy bucket of water.  Would it be breaking boundaries to offer her a mopping system that she can use with just water and it will save her money and keep my floors looking even better.  Yeah, probably.  Even the daughter tenant wouldn't buy into that one.  Okay, I admit it, I have a thing for floor cleaning products.  ;)

So I have survived another month of the No Buy Challenge!  Here is the report.


As I mentioned in a previous post, I bought a box of white cardstock at Homesense for a great price.  It was on my list of things that I could buy and it was a really non-exciting purchase.  Boo to that!

Later in the month was a bit of a test as I did go to two LSS's with Susan.  Yeah it is like being on Weight Watchers and spending the afternoon at the ice cream parlour and bakery.  Tempting!!  The old shopping Jennifer saw lots of things that she wanted to impulse buy.  The creative possibilities were all around me.   I got super excited when I saw some awesome stamp sets.  Susan laughed at me as I realized that I was talking a bit loud about these beauties.  Now the great thing about having a sister who loves to scrap is that you can borrow and trade stuff.  So you can buy the stamp set for your sister as a gift and then you know that eventually you can ask to borrow it!  Lucky for me, the stamp set that I loved is the same one that Susan loved..... score!  In my defence,  I knew before leaving for the store that I was buying a little gift for Susan.  They had lost their loving cat, Stripo, to illness the night before and she needed a little pick me up.  Here is what these stamps look like.


I told Susan that I won't ask to borrow them for quite some time because that would seem like cheating and I plan on seeing this challenge through.

I did make one purchase that day.  Susan and I came across this diecut that we have been searching for forever!


We decided to co-own it!  We can share it back and forth and save money in the process.  I was a bit torn about this purchase as I never mentioned anything about "tools" in my list of what was okay to buy.  Tools are not a trouble spot for me... it is the actual supplies.  Both of my judges gave me the green light on this purchase.  It wasn't an impulse buy.  I love being able to make doilies in any colour and I love the kraft ones.  The only downfall to this diecut is that you have to poke out every little hole in this intricate design.  The end result is worth it though.

This is what I have learned this month.

~ When I am surrounded by goodness at the LSS and think that I "need" all of this new stuff, I really don't.  A few hours later I could only remember two of the things that I really wished I could have bought.  One is that amazing vellum paper from Fifth & Frolic with those big gold dots on it.  Not sure how I would even create with it.  I think I will be looking for a sheet of that in the sale bin next year.  Hmmmm could I fashion my own version using vellum and gold glittery paper?  The other was a set of really neat square alphas.

~ Less is really more!  Now that I have less,  I am not feeling overwhelmed.  I have really organized my stash and feel that I am more aware of what I have.  The creative possibilities are swimming around my scrapping dazed head.

> sheets of tags have been cut up and are ready to use.  So much bang for my buck for a layering loving scrapper.



> sheets of circular patterns have been punched out and are ready to use.  A cheap way to embellish.  Layer them up and add some goodies on top.





~ Big sisters feel sorry for little sisters going through scrappy withdraw and share some of their new goodies as gifts!  (Actually, Susan and I always share stuff with each other.  It is a great way to have a taste of the goodies but not too much on hand to use.)   Look at those sweet birds especially the owls!!  Can't wait to use them.  :)


~ When big sisters listen to little sisters mourn the loss of their glittery white alphas they remember that they have a package at home that they never used and give them as a gift.... along with some sheets of vintage BG that they have no use for.  Score for me!  I can't turn down vintage BG!


>  Big sister then decides to give the super vintage circa 2005 BG Blush collection that she spied first at the warehouse sale last year, to little sister!  Thank you Susan!  Can't wait to cut into this!  :)


The most important thing that I learned this month is that little sister needs to keep quiet or else by the end of the No Buy Challenge she will still have too much stuff and Big sister will have none.  ;)

So clearly I am not suffering over here. LOL  I am still having lots of fun with this challenge and am appreciating my possessions much more.  Two months down ~ 10 months to go.

In fact, I think I still have enough stuff to afford me to put together a giveaway for one lucky reader!  Check back in the next couple of days.  There may even be some diecut kraft doilies in there.   :)

Jen

6 comments:

  1. Fun post! I love your tip on getting your sister a stamp set and then borrowing it :))) And your doily die cut is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that was a really fun read. You're doing great, Jen! I know you'll be totally successful with this challenge. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I only wish that my little sister was a scrapbooker...sadly she is not and she lives 4 hours away. I should spend some time better organizing my space as well, but we are moving in 3 months so I don't know what it would be worth doing now except for packing things away more organized? oh well i'm not sure. I love those wood veneers! and of course vintage BG....my fav. I actually used some the other day. probably could never get my hands on enough of that stuff, but it can sometimes be hard to find these days! Good luck with the challenge, I think you are doing great so far!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a really great post - lots of lovely pictures and details to enjoy. Call it vicarious shopping! That die is one of the prettiest things I have seen in ages. Oh, and the renting story struck a chord too - I let a place out to my brother a while back. It was good fun seeing what he did with it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! What I wouldn't give to have a sister that was a scrapbooker! You too sound like you have a lot of fun! I didn't officially take your no buy challenge, but I have been sticking to my goal of not buying things unless they are on sale OR until I go home and "consider" it first...let's just say, so far I have only bought adhesive and glue dots...which I had to have, but i used coupons to get them! I have found using my stash is a lot of fun! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have given a lot of my stash to my daughter-in-law and I am amazed with what she has done with it. So far I am also still hanging in. Other than the monthly Studio Calico kit that I enrolled for last year I have only bought cardstock and adhesive.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...